Tan By the Sea: 12.10.12

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Friday, October 12, 2012

12.10.12

I know I haven't been blogging for almost a whole week! And I'm not that busy this week actually, I just haven't been doing anything interesting. Not to mention there wasn't a food lab this week, so I couldn't blog about what I did in the food lab... but that will be back next week!


Made some fried rice with seafood medley and greens for dinner:
Maybe medley is too fancy of a word because it came in a frozen pack and really wasn't fancy at all. It tasted pretty good except the rice was a bit too wet, cause I didn't think of cooking fried rice until pretty last minute, so I didn't get to let the rice dry out overnight or something. But yea Mel was very impressed with my cooking so I promised her I'll make a vegetarian fried rice one day just for her! =)

Anyways, for all of you that want the "recipe"... Because I didn't have a big pan and I ended up making quite a bit of fried rice, I cooked all of them in batches. It's also a lot easier to control everything. Oil and minced garlic and actually a bit of chilli flakes (would be better to use fresh chilli if you can), heat it all up, standard cooking procedure. 

I didn't crisp up the garlic for this part and I used real minced garlic as oppose to the ones you buy from stores so you still have a good texture. Sauté the seafood in that, a SUPER small touch of salt and about 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce. Once it's about 3 quarters cooked or so, I took it out and I didn't add more oil, a tinier dash of minced garlic and in went my vege. Sauté it like how you would sauté regular vegetables and stalks in first before the leaves... once again standard cooking procedure. And for this I just added some salt.

Took that out and added maybe 2 tablespoons of oil and added in the rest of my minced garlic.. and for these I actually sautéed them until they were rather crispy. But just right before they become perfectly crispy, I added the rice in and just fry it like usual... added both soy sauce and salt. I don't know if other people do this, but I hardly add only soy sauce in a dish... to me soy sauce is a seasoning but salt brings out the flavour of food. Of course this depends on if you put other seasonings which are salty but that's my general belief if you were only going to use soy sauce for a dish.

Added in an egg, because fried rice is always better with egg.. fried that super duper fast so it's like nice tiny bits of egg, added everything back in just to really incorporate it et voila! Mel may think I'm a genius, but it's really pretty simple. And btw I don't actually measure when I cook, so please just follow your instinct and remember you can always add more if it's not enough but it's hard to remove it once it's there.

It sounds like I added a lot of salt but I really didn't, it's just me layering the salt so that it is all balanced as oppose to adding a whole lot at the end. But yea I've been really inspired lately and just decided to make a tiny list (to start off) of things I want to make in the near future:
  • Fresh pasta
  • Simple loaf of bread
  • Broccoli soup
  • Cream of pumpkin soup
  • Grill quail
Yea the first four recipes are super simple.. I really just have to make sure I have all the ingredients and.. equipment (something to bake the bread in). But yea, that's a pretty long post for just fried rice! HAHAHA It's Carrie's fault if you do mind! =P Obviously it's more for you readers who don't know how to cook at all... yea... Hehehe ciao my sexay readers, have a fantastic weekend!


Listening to "Paper Planes" by Pixie Lott
Image by Melanie

No comments :

Post a Comment