Tan By the Sea: 16.08.12

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

16.08.12

THE MACARON STORY
Macaron =  "A cookie made with ground almonds and egg whites. The macaron parisien in particular is made of two delicate meringue-like cookies sandwiched together by a creamy filling." (Definition here)
Macaroon =  "A small light biscuit, crunchy outside and soft inside, made with ground almonds, sugar and egg whites." (Definition here)
 
(Left: Macaron ; Right: Macaroon)

Today, it's my macaron story. Woke up when the sun peeped out the horizon today, and just lingered around in my bed since it was.. way too early. Finally got off bed went online for a bit, got ready and headed out to meet up with Amelia and Carrie. We went to Sushi One at Sheppard for lunch, did a whole buncha bazinga downtown for Carrie, and then headed back up to Butter Avenue! This little patisserie is notorious for their macarons, which is why we chose them for our little adventure.

There was a total of 13 macarons we could choose from, however because you can buy boxes of 6 for 13.50$ (2.25$ each anyway but we save on tax) so we decided to leave the strawberry and banana flavour macaron out (whatever it's actual name is)
The boxes we got our macarons in, aren't they just ADORABLE?
Anyways, I am going to label all the macarons below and blog accordingly because if I put all their individual pics, this post will be WAY too long. 
Caramel Macchiato Earl Grey
Secret Garden White Chocolate Strawberry
Matcha  Lavender
Dark Chocolate Seasalt Caramel
Cream Cheese Passionfruit Lemon
Raspberry Lime & Honey
The first macaron we tried was the White Chocolate Strawberry, this was actually my one of my favourites. The strawberry jam in this combined with the chocolate was just amazing, and it was actually not overpoweringly sweet, which was amazing. ♥♥♥ 
The second was Secret Garden. This macaron actually consisted of ROSE. They actually use rose in this and when you bite into it, it's pretty chunky due to the rose and the whole rose scent just kept oozing out of the macaron. Unfortunately I'm not the biggest fan of eating rose.   
The third was the Lavender,  goodness, I LOVE the smell of lavender and I LOVE lavender tea so I suppose this was a huge bias for me. Absolutely loved this smell of this macaron! ♥♥ 
Next was Cream Cheese Passionfruit, when you bite into this, there are actually smooth traces of passionfruit in this and it was just AMAZING combining that smoothness of the passionfruit with the crunchy-ish texture of the macaron. This is the other one of my favourites! ♥♥♥  
Next up was the Lemon and followed right after by the Lime & Honey. There was nothing about these two macarons that I liked. The Lemon has just this overpowering artificial lemon flavour and the other was just too sweet and a bad combination of flavours for me.
Then we had the Dark Chocolate. This was a bit of a waste of time because it tasted exactly like chocolate ice-cream. So for $2.25, I would just buy ice cream.  
Then there was the Raspberry. Loved it! The jam was just, I guess the thing I can say about Butter Avenue is that their jam is LOVELY! ♥♥ 
Then we have the Earl Grey, yet another big bias of mine cause guess what my favourite common tea is, EARL GREY! Loved the smell, loved the flavour! ♥♥ 
For our lucky #10, it comes down to the Seasalt Caramel. Salt and caramel is probably one of the smartest combination of flavours in the world. It's just genius and this macaron took that genius combination and BAM, SMART!  
Then we had our Matcha, basically Japanese green tea flavour. It was really nice but there was something about it that was a bit lacking, I don't know how to say it, it just wasn't perfect. ♥♥ 
And FINALLY our home runner goes to the most beautiful macaron, the Caramel Macchiato, very delicious. Amazing coffee flavour, it is macchiato after all, the sad thing is that it was just a tiny tad too sweet for me. ♥♥

On the whole, I'd say most of the macarons were incredibly delicious and delightful. The service was amazing. The knife, the plate just landed on our tables so effortlessly. This made sharing the macarons very easy for us because we actually split all of the macarons in three so that we could each try every one of them. 

Very lovely experience indeed, the three of us did do a whole buncha stuff for the rest of the evening, but I'm sure we can all agree that this was definitely the highlight of our day. Thank you so much to Butter Avenue, for giving me my first macaron story, and thank you to my dear friends for putting up with my photo taking. 



Listening to "Gangnam Style" by Psy
Images by gardenofshadows.co.cc, wikipedia.org, and I!

2 comments :

  1. Good Job dear . When u gonna make it by ur own and send some to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you and see how it goes!! Probably never!! =P

    ReplyDelete