Tan By the Sea: 08.11.12

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Thursday, November 08, 2012

08.11.12

I am so tired this week. There's just so many factors, and it's taking a toll on me mentally and physically. Which is why I'm taking a break right now to blog about the fun things that I have cooked in the last few days.

On Tuesday, after coming back from the HTMSA general meeting, I was freezing cold and feeling a bit miserable after the events of the day. Went home and started chatting with Stacy and Aleena to unwind and somehow the topic of wine came up. I was so stressed out that I actually wanted to drink some wine, and they agreed, so we all just got up, drove to LCBO and bought wine. We didn't care that it was a Tuesday evening, we all bought a bottle of wine each:
Far left is Stacy's, middle is Aleena's and mine is the bottle on the far right. It's a Chilean wine called Xplorador. Honestly, I regretted being cheap and buying the cheapest bottle of Chilean wine I could possibly fine. I was seriously crazing a full body red wine, and instead I got this... it taste almost like diluted red wine. Oh well, at least I know what not to get next time. 

And my Tuesday dinner was sliced pork with okra (not Stacy, it's not a fish), fried with the chili flakes, soy sauce and my beautiful Chinese rice wine that my parents brought up just this past weekend! =)
For my Wednesday food lab, made Broiled T-bone steak with pan-sauteed mushrooms!
What can I say steaks are just my thing, I just do them so often. I realized that my normal way of searing steaks then sticking them into the oven is apparently the "professional" way... not my fault I learn a fair bit of my cooking from watching professional chefs on YouTube. =P Also, I used more mushrooms than the recipe asked for, and in my defense 125ml of mushrooms is just not enough for a lab my size! Did I mention my lab partner was Lana again! LOL We've worked together like 4 or 5 times now?

Oooo then for my Wednesday dinner:
Fried carrots and minced beef with oyster sauce, salt and pepper! It would've gone AMAZING with plain porridge, or as Canadians like to say congee, cause it was just so crunchy, juicy and had a real depth of flavour... AMAZING, I can just imagine it! Gonna make it again soon like that!

And today (Thursday), I guess I made a fancier than usual lunch:
It's my Parmesan crusted fish (tilapia in this case, use a better fish if you want to recreate this fish) on a bed of cauliflower purée (just puréed cauliflower with salt, soy sauce and lemon juice), served ideally on a crostini (but I had only had plain regular toast *sad*)

This tasted REALLY good, and it took me about 10 minutes to cook and maybe 15 minutes to prep! Because I was alone, this was a full lunch for me, but if you want to serve this as an appetizer (Esp if it's on a cute crostini!), it would've been great! As you can see, I left some cauliflower bits as well as parsley leaves for garnish, but it's completely up to you. And feel free to use any other herb!

But yea that has been my food life. I'm.. sad to say that I toned it down for dinner tonight with instant noodles, but then again it was Korean instant noodles which are the best things, after Malaysian instant noodles, so it was still a feast! =P Anyways, hope I haven't made you too hungry! Now I'm happy and ready to start studying again! =)


Listening to "Don't You Worry Child" by Swedish House Mafia and John Martin
Images by Me

No comments :

Post a Comment