Tan By the Sea: 23.01.15

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Friday, January 23, 2015

23.01.15

I've had a pretty exciting past week and a half! For starters, Lauren, Tiffany, Samir and I went to 39 Carden Street for their dollar oysters and $5 snack + drinks night every Sunday after 9pm! My heart sunk a little when they said they ran out of oysters and it sunk even more when they said they ran out of mussels. However, the night was saved because we ordered beef tartare, tuna tataki, Carden fries + fixens, shrimp steam bun, scallop veloute, chips with truffle aioli, pulled pork grilled cheese, clams with chorizo, and another clams dish replacing the mussels. Of course being in HAFA we had some chardonnay with our food! Photos start with the Beef Tartare
Tuna Tataki
Shrimp Steam Bun
Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
Both the clam dishes!
Chardonnay 
It was DELICIOUS! I think the tuna and the veloute emerged as my favourites and the fact that ALL of that was $5 each was just an absolute plus! Highly recommend it to everyone in Guelph and hopefully they still have oysters if you visit!

The past Saturday, my "other half" Rachael and I went to the Farmer's Market in Guelph, which for me was my first time. We bought cinnamon buns and samosas from the market, but of course for brunch, we went to Wimpy's diner because we couldn't just eat what we already had. Yea, that is why we're friends.

Later that evening, Lauren held a housewarming party and cooked a STORM (a very breathtaking storm might I say). Thank you again for inviting us to your lovely home! Here are some of the food for the evening





Of course, yours truly brought some Chianti for the occasion! And then this week has just been all around insane workload wise! Spent an entire day on campus on Wednesday with HFTM Job Expo and the HFTM Alumni Night! Always great to see some familiar faces at alumni night and super inspiring to hear the alumni's stories and advice! Then yesterday, Rachael and I went to From the Root Cellar, a fine dining event at PJ's Restaurant at the Atrium. The experience costs $32 and consisted of a 6 course meal, it started with a crostini with smoked char and dill sauce
Then we had a carrot and beet soup. This is the problem with going out with my other half, we are TOO similar. I couldn't get a good angle of the soup unless I stood up, which I wasn't about to do due to the nature of the event, so I thought to myself oh I can use Rachael's photos, while Rachael forgot to take photos of the soup and thought oh I can use SeaYunn's photos. And now we got none photos. Mind you it was some of the best soup combinations I've had in a while! Anyhow, the meal went on with some homemade sweet potato gnocchi served over a bed of roasted tomato coulis!
A lovely Apple Sorbet to help cleanse the palate
Lamb Shank and Flageolet
It is essentially sous vide lamb shanks served with cannellini beans with smoked bacon! It was rather embarrassing because the table next to us gave up on the lamb shank halfway through and got it packed to bring home as I wolf down my entire plate. #noregrets

To finish off this beautiful dinner, we had a dessert trio consisting of molten chocolate beet cake (as in beetroot), a pumpkin mousse parfait which was rather spectacular when you combine all three layers, and an awesome cheesecake topped with an orange cranberry compote and the most adorable white chocolate dipped gooseberry! I was incredibly stuffed by the end of it all but I would have definitely grabbed another white chocolate gooseberry if they had given it to me.
Thank you again Rebecca and the entire crew for the awesome evening! I was quite impressed with how awesome to food turned out and how big the portions were! Ending off this awesome food post with the lovely fine dining candle decor!


Listening to "Like I Can" by Sam Smith
Images by Me

No comments :

Post a Comment