In loving memory of More More, you will be missed ♥
Two Wednesdays ago, I flew out of Luton Airport to catch a flight to Malta! I knew little about this country, but from the stories I heard, it seemed that I was going to have a lovely summer holiday ahead. As excited as I was to explore Malta and travel overseas for the first time with Leanne and Zong-Ying, I arrived at around midnight, so we just went back to the airbnb and fell asleep!
Day 1: Blue Grotto, Mdina, St. Peter's Pool
Our very first of the "Blue" is Blue Grotto, but FIRST lunch at a restaurant right next to Blue Grotto, called *wait for it* Blue Cave. We waited until 12pm to be able to order from the lunch menu and then all ordered the Scialatelli Scoglio (aka fettucine with squid, mussels, clams, prawns, & langoustines).
It was a bit too salty for me, but can't complain otherwise! After lunch, we joined the €8 boat ride that brought us to several caves including cat cave and of course Blue Grotto itself!
Entering Cat Cave
Funky tree
Conservation island of Filfla
After a long series of photos both at sea and once we were back on land, we then made our way to Mdina! Don't say I didn't warn you but roads in Malta are terrible, think of the worst trunk roads in Malaysia and I'd say that is most roads in Malta! On the way to Mdina, there was a car accident so we had to take an alternate route that was just sloppy and bumpy! Mind you we were travelling in a tiny Kia, when really we should've been in an all wheel drive, off road type car.
Mdina Gate (since 1724)
Mdina, aka Silent City, was once home to the island's capital during medieval times. To pay tribute to all things medieval, we went into the Mdina Dungeon, Museum of Torture. I'm not sure if it was once a real dungeon, but it showcased the different torture and punishment techniques that were used throughout Malta's medieval era. (cost: €5/adult)
Probably the most notable thing in Mdina was St Roque's Chapel. Mind you, Mdina like all of Malta used limestone for most of their building exterior, smart for the region but it's ugly when the entire country looks of dull yellow brick. The interior of this chapel however was stunning in comparison. It sure is a tiny space and the oval dome gave it a narrow feel it certainly didn't need, but it impressed me a lot more than I expected.


After all this, we were just drowning from the heat, so off we went to St. Peter's Pool! Our ring-leader ZY saw a cliff and decided to jump off it into the cool sea water. Leanne and I followed suit but the baby cliff version because I can't swim and I guess for Leanne, she just wanted to do the baby version! It was actually a ton of fun and the cool water against our skin just felt so good! Really wished I had a float or can swim, then I would've done the real cliff version instead!

We went back to Marsaskala, the quaint fishing village home to our airbnb, where we ate dinner at Ximo restaurant. I ordered a hearty plate of tuna pasta and all was well.
Day Two: Comino Island & Blue Lagoon
The absolute worst part of our day is having to take a 1.5 hour ferry (ONE way) from Malta to the island of Comino! It was stifling hot and there was no fan or air conditioning, on a day that was 38℃! They didn't even give us our lunch until the END of the ferry trip to Comino, which was less than mediocre to say the least.
Comino itself is car free, virtually uninhabited, and home to our second "Blue" - Blue Lagoon. Yes the water itself was a gorgeous blue, but we were starting to notice a trend in Malta, the beaches were ROCKY. We also didn't do ourselves justice travelling in July because the already tiny and rocky island was INCREDIBLY crowded.
Listening to "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus
Images by Zong-Ying's Mom & I
The highlight about this day was my nap of the ferry deck on the way back to Malta and eating Maggi instant noodles for dinner! Fortunately, day two ended great with Zong-Ying and I having some much needed catch up time after dinner on our balcony, with some alcohol and chips (or crisps).
Stay tuned for Malta Day Three & Four + Leeds + London with ZY!
Images by Zong-Ying's Mom & I

No comments :
Post a Comment