Easter Weekend in a nutshell:
"Friday felt like Saturday, Saturday felt like Saturday, Sunday felt like Sunday, and Monday felt like Sunday. So much for long weekend"
Jokes aside, I hope everyone had a lovely Easter weekend! As for me, Samir, Amelia, and I visited Bristol and Bath!
The first thing we did upon arriving in Bristol was... this is Samir's fault... but we went to Primark. I tried to convince him we did not need to go to Primark, but he insisted we went it. Big mistake on his part, Amelia and I ended up spending over an hour shopping! AFTER we walked around the city in search for a lunch spot, and stumbled upon Zero Degrees Microbrewery. We ordered two types of beers, the mango beer and Samurai beer, and both were delightful, though I do prefer the mango one myself.
Samir ordered the BBQ chicken pizza, Amelia ordered the lobster bisque mussels (really unique and delicious), and I couldn't resist a seafood linguine!
Because we are greedy suckers, we actually went back again on our last day in Bristol to the restaurant. Samir had the same, Amelia ordered their classic white wine mussels (marinière), and I got the porcini and Mexican sausage parpardelle (this was SUPER rich, so while it tasted amazing, I do recommend sharing)
After a delightful meal we joined the Bristol Free Walking Tour (donations welcomed and tour is about 2 hours long). The website tells you everything you will see during the tour but the highlights are...
Victoria Rooms
The view of Bristol from beside the Clifton Suspension Bridge
The longest terrace in Europe & most expensive place to live in Bristol (over £2mil)
Cabot Tower on Brandon Hill
There is also a natural "slide" next to the Clifton Suspension Bridge, definitely worth sliding down if you are in the area! After all that funsies, we visited Swoon, one of Bristol's most popular ice cream parlours; their pistachio gelato was pure delight! You can say repetition is the theme of our trip, because the next day, we visited Swoon again to try their banana split sundae!
After stuffing our beautiful faces, we made our way to Stokes Croft, aka the hipster part of town with a ton of graffiti!
For dinner, we ended up in Poco Tapas Bar. Two things really stood out, the Isle of Wright (roasted) Padron Peppers and the Rare Bavette Steak
I'm not usually a fan of rare meats but this just really worked with how it was cut! We checked into a DoubleTree, stuffed our faces with THE DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies, ate some ramen, put on some face masks, and watched White Chicks! The next morning, we rented bicycles and cycled our way to Bath via the Bristol and Bath Railway Path (talk about straightforward names). The path was absolutely beautiful!
As usual, my photos just don't match up to the sights I see but damn I absolutely recommend it. And if you can't bike like me, find a professional friend (Amelia) and rent a tandem bike together, duh!
We parked our bikes next to the Green Park Station (which is actually a market hall) and found this gem: JC Kitchen, aka the place with the guy who made us a chicken (sourdough) wrap for £5. It was definitely big enough to act as a lunch meal for two.
Yea that is how our chicken was cooked and the smell... you must have it!
As you can may have guessed, Bath is popular for its Roman's Bath (HA!), but because it was Easter weekend, there's a huge lineup to go into any of them. Plus it wasn't the cheapest, so we just walked pass them.
Bath Abbey
Clotted cream ice cream for David Thayer's Ice Cream Shop (sounds weird but it works)
Yay for pet friendly restaurants, now where's my dog?
On the whole, I don't know if Bath is boring or we just didn't hit up the fun places of Bath, but I found Bath a bit dull. Their food game is strong but everything else was just overly touristic. We cycled our butts back to Bristol, walked through Stokes Croft in search for Korean Gamjatang. To our disappointment, the restaurant we ended up at ran out of Gamjatang. I ordered soondubu instead.
Back in the hotel, I pampered myself to a nice relaxing bath, the bicycle ride from Bath to Bristol took about 45 minutes if you don't stop, that times two but a buncha walking called for sore muscles. Our last day was pretty chill, woke up late for the first time the entire trip, tried walked through the habour front area of Bristol, tried to find the rock slide off the Clifton Suspension Bridge (took us a while because we thought it was at Brandon Hill), had a late lunch, contemplated having Swoon again for the third time (but didn't), and eventually made our way back to London!
It was a bit of a last minute trip (we were supposed to head to Snowdonia) but it turned out to be lovely, thank you Bristol and Bath, until next time!
Listening to "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" by Taylor Swift & Zayn Malik
Images by Me
No comments :
Post a Comment