It's official! As of today, I've lived and worked here in the UK for half a year! My move here hasn't been the smoothest. If there's anything I've learnt about my life of moving to 3 cities in the last decade, is that I take time to get into the rhythm of my new environment. I mentioned before that I haven't learnt to love London quite yet, but I definitely don't mind it.
Some of the highlights that have been happening the last few weeks:
- Visited Leanne in Leeds! First time this lady cooked for me and I'm a sucker for anyone who cooks good food for me
- Went to Richmond Park with Amelia, it was HUGE!! And there really are deer roaming around the park, yes we are still in London!
- Got myself an RMCC penguin (posted this on Instagram) but if you remembered I talked about wanting to get one soon, and I guess you need to read a certain book to get it
- Meeting up with fellow HFTM alumni Katie, who brought me to the cutest place for brunch! There are some people that you don't necessarily talk to all too often but when you do it's a super meaningful conversation, that's the type of conversations I have with Katie! Look forward to our next meet up!
All that aside, I wanted this blog to focus on the changes that I have experienced over the past 6 months, and they include...
Change #1
Being more proactive with health related habits. For example, when I was in uni, I definitely skipped on putting on face cream or flossing my teeth. It was better when I worked at Frankies because it was operations and I felt the need to look better, but it was an active decision. Especially since coming back from malaysia, I've made more proactive and positive choices towards my health (external and internal), getting into certain routines, and eating less carbs!
Change #2
Spending a bit more money on groceries. This point is a bit ironic because groceries (even after conversion) is cheaper here than in Canada (surprise!). When I say spend more money, I do mean getting better ingredients, choosing healthier options if the price difference is not huge. I'd say I'm still pretty price conscious when it comes to groceries, but I'm definitely buying better than I was in Canada. The only sad thing is I don't cook better because my kitchen is so small I don't really have space for a proper variety of seasonings/spices.
Change #3
Coding. I've really grown to enjoy coding and creating different revenue reports with code! It's like my inner nerd has been unleashed! Of course, I think I've also gotten a lot better, granted still miles away from my colleagues, but I think I've done a good share given my time as a revenue analyst.
Change #4
Also on a more work relevant topic, I'm finally starting to get more active from a volunteering perspective. After 5 years with HFTMSA back in Guelph, I felt a strong need to be involved in something else aside from pure work. I'm definitely not at the level where I used to be, but I'm starting to just put my name down without really knowing the full extent of what I'm volunteering for. To be fair, wasn't that how it started for me with HFTMSA anyway?
I even got a pretty lavish compliment for a presentation I volunteered for during Participation Day. Which is nice because I do believe that having the opportunity to present in front of Darcy opened doors for me being hired, so I feel that I need to step up all my presentations now that I'm here.
Ultimately, I've started to be comfortable with all the uncertainties that this new chapter of my life unfolds. As always, so incredibly grate for everyone at work who has made me feel comfortable way before I can even begin to calm down, for all the friends who have visited me so far, for all the new friends I have made, but most of all, to Amelia and Samir who just happen to be with me in a place that sometimes makes you feel so alone. I am even more grateful that the two of you are getting along well so I don't have to choose between either one of you to spend my weekends with.
Listening to "Say You Won't Let Go" by James Arthur
Images by Me
No comments :
Post a Comment