"there will be a lot more posts in the next few weeks because hopefully I will be doing more interesting stuff now that I am done university"
It has been 12 weeks since I said that. In my defense (though really just excuses) I have (a) been micro blogging, which really means I have posted stuff on social media (HA) and (b) been working on a university scrapbook where the writing that I have done in them, I could easily extract and post in a blog.
I have spent a lot of hours on this scrapbook and it is not even close to being remotely similar to the fancy scrapbooks that you can find online. However, the process of writing it and organizing the stories have been really beautiful. In total, it took about a month and a half to complete this scrapbook, between work and trying to relax in the summer, but it has been a very fulfilling process. I've relived so many memories and emotions just making this scrapbook, and it is a great tribute to this chapter of my life. I don't think I will be sharing this scrapbook online anytime soon, of course, all my friends are more than welcomed to come by and flip through it as it is by no means private! =)
In the past 12 weeks I also GRADUATED FROM UNIVERSITY! HAHA I suppose that is rather important. Only 5 bloody years in the making. No I don't feel any different or smarter, if anything it almost felt anti climatic that all it boiled down to was a piece of paper. Actually I got two pieces of paper, still more expensive than your average piece of paper nonetheless. So now I get to flash my commerce degree in everyone's faces, along with probably at least hundreds of thousands of students around the world who also now gained that privilege this year. Fun.
note: I don't mean to make light of my new university degree, but every other person has one so it is also not really a big deal, by no means did I not enjoy my university experience, nor disregard the importance of attaining high level education (DUH) kids, go to school
Anyhow, I guess aside from that, like I mentioned I have been working a bit at Frankies since I am still in Toronto, no harm in earning extra pocket money. I have also been spending a lot of money. I have gone on quite a few food adventures, with my latest notable adventure at Auberge du Pommier! To be honest I was hoping that my first experience at Auberge would be their tasting menu or something fancy but given the upcoming change in my life, I literally can't afford to wait around a few years before I'm ready to spend that amount of money at Auberge, so when I saw that Summerlicious was coming up, I decided to just visit the restaurant for Summerlicious instead!
For appetizers I got a salad and Samir got a chicken and leek terrine. In other words, holy shit you know you're getting old when you order a salad in a restaurant and Samir's terrine tasted like a posh chicken ham, no complaints though. Might I say the heirloom tomatoes in my salad were AMAZING, again, another sign of aging but I got no shame.
For our main, I got a coulette steak with some fun horseradish and pretty awesome vegetable fricassee and Samir got salmon that had some spicy capers. I think I would've liked his dish better with just the salmon but my steak was great.
Finally for our dessert, I got a clafoutis (a what?) with cherries and a blueberry compote while Samir got different concoctions of chocolate. My description of food is en pointe today. But really, if you look at the photo, there is a chocolate cream mousse sorta thing, there's chocolate ice cream, there is cocoa tuile which is like chocolate on a cracker, and coffee bits around that.
Thing was I was indeed a bit under the weather for this adventure, so I would say for the main and app, I think I tasted things as it was, but when it came to the desserts my taste buds weren't too happy. The cherries on the clafoutis tasted like that candied cherries you eat on a cake which is definitely not my favourite flavour. They did use celery leaves as a garnish for my clafoutis which actually goes REALLY well with the dessert, so I guess the garnish saved the day.
But yea that was a pretty fun experience and I also almost spent $35 more for wine pairing. You see I thought $35 was the total including the wine pairing not $35 on top of the Summerlicious price for the food. That was slightly naive on my part, but I guess sometimes you hear what you want to hear, cause I still thought it was $35 in total after talking to the server. When I said I didn't mind spending more money on the meal, I did not mean $35 more dollars, especially since half my nose was blocked. Like sure I'm balling, but I didn't mean that much. #phew
One REALLY exciting thing I have been doing this summer is having my good friend Samantha teach me a few artsy things. For those of you who know me, arts and crafts is not something that I am good at, but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn how to do them. For example, a few Fridays ago, Samantha taught Carrie and I how to do paper marbling and how to do a pamphlet stitch (a bookbinding method) and just this past Friday, Samantha taught me how to create my own block stamp! We literally found a picture online, traced it, transferred it to the stamp and then carved it and then used it as a stamp! We only had time to make one design and I chose a Pikachu!
Paper Marbling results
Block Stamping results
This time I'm not promising when the next time I am going to blog, but as you might have noticed, something is about to change in my life *knock on wood that all goes well* *knock with me*... we will talk about that when it is confirmed =)
Listening to "Twilight" by JJ Lin
Images by Me


No comments :
Post a Comment