It is Labour Day today in Malaysia. Here I sit in my aunt's house at Batu Ferringhi, Penang when my peers in co-op have already started their first days of work back in Canada. I've got a lot in mind and so I'm going to blog today about part of my trip to Japan. You see, there is no direct flight from Toronto to Kuala Lumpur, so no matter what I have to transit somewhere. This time it was Japan and I finally made it a point to not just transit the airport, but get out of it to see the beautiful world of what they call Tokyo.
There was a 1 hour flight delay departing Pearson Airport, but I finally landed in Narita airport at 6.30pm and proceeded to head to Shinjuku Washington Hotel, my home for the next 4 nights.
Day 1: Arriving in Tokyo 東京
Japan has been on the top of my places to go list for a while now and finally walking on the streets of Shinjuku 新宿, the ward where my hotel is located was simply exhilarating. The streets of Shinjuku were filled with tiny restaurants, where food is catered to the afterwork crowd. My mom and I both can't speak Japanese but reading was relatively decent for us as most Japanese characters are in Kanji (Chinese characters)! We walked around the happening area looking at photos and guessing different food items. Finally we decided to go here:
Before entering the restaurant, we had to order and pay through this vending machine device.
Once we enter the restaurant, the servers took our receipt, sat us down and served us accordingly. The restaurant was tiny (as most things in Tokyo are), there's no round table or any of your normal restaurant setting, just rows and rows of table as though we're eating in the cafeteria of primary school. On our table were several condiments, all of which we guessed as they had labels on them
Our food arrived in no time at all. We ordered one katsudon カツ丼, one soba dish with charsiew, and one oyakadon 親子丼 (or so I think).
After eating the raw egg, MY GOODNESS! I now know why Japanese love to eat raw eggs so much! The egg is so good that even the egg white is filled with flavour and has an amazing texture, never mind the egg yolk! With egg this good, cooking it actually takes away the texture and some of the flavour!! I wouldn't cook eggs this good either!
We went home, did a whole lot of planning for the next day (well I planned and my mom... didn't), slept and got ready for our first full day in Tokyo... that I will blog about next time! Night night readers! ♥
Images by Me
No comments :
Post a Comment