One of the things I've been looking forward to SO much is driving! So of course, this added with my parents renovating a couple of the bathrooms = me driving the mom around.
Engine not turned on yet... don't take photos and drive kids!
Day one: Mom and I visited good old Cora's (the one I used to work at) and coincidentally had Will as our server (whom I worked with then) and goodness, I completely forgot how massive the food portions are in this country!! LOL And how oddly addictive the fries (more like wedges) are at Cora's, like what the heck is in this thing.
Shopped for some paint and got some bathroom accessories and somehow time flew by and it was time for dinner! Met up with my favourite Tiffany ever at Mainstreet Unionville to eat at a restaurant called ChatBar. Super weird thing to notice but Mainstreet Unionville area is SO Asian these days, like there used to be quite a huge variety of food, and now it's just like one Asian place after another - I mean I know it's Markham but there was a nice Mexican place there that is no longer there, so I'm sad. In any case, ChatBar was pretty fun! They specialise in meat skewers, which we had a ton of (Tiger peppers, okra,chicken wings, garlic stuffed intestine (not date food), beef and chicken skewers) - sorry for the blur food photos, I was hungry:
Tiff also ordered scallops (this is why I love her - she just knows).
My only complain is that the meats aren't grilled to order as the skewers can be hotter - and also wont come all at the same time, but otherwise seasonings and what not were spot on!
Of course no trip to Toronto isn't complete without bubble tea, so after dinner, we ordered the Royal No.9 Milk Tea and the Iron Goddess Milk Tea from The Alley. Definitely got greedy with the large size, so I think I more or less got my BBT fix for the next year LOL (my drinks palette is only half Asian that's why).
Random thoughts in Toronto so far:
- Me: so happy to have a large home here... Also me when realising I left something in the basement while at the 1st floor: why are there SO MANY STAIRS2.
- Forgetting that you have to actually push the TTC bus doors open to exit the bus and it's not a rule to only exit from the back.
Day two: Introduced Darren to Taro Sushi, sadly no more seating area inside, so we ate our lunch in the car lol! Also got some Thai rolled ice cream (London Fog flavour cause its cliche) and Ube flavoured Hong Kong Waffles from Toast Delight
Plus, super mega thank you to Stephanie and Iris for agreeing to meet up with me so late after dinner! It was lovely to hear everyone's fresh thoughts of life after uni!
Day three: Had lunch at Wei's Kitchen, our family favourite restaurant for down to earth, very home made Cantonese style cooking. We got some of our usual lineups: braised pork hock (we don't usually eat this in other places), steamed fish, minced pork dish with salted fish, and fried veges.
Also made my round to Frankie's (didn't eat, I've got enough food), but spent an hour meandering through the place and briefly catching up with everyone! All the nostalgic memories of this place just come back to me and it almost feels like I can step right in work wise (I'll pass on the hours though lol). Then after, met up with Samantha and Anita who went over their killer London (featuring Paris & Amsterdam) trip with me. I feel like I took the week off for when they are coming over, but I might need the following week to recover! Hahahah super excited for that in about a month's time regardless. Then after, we met up with the rest of our high school girls and ate WAYYY too much at Gyubee.
As always, there is never enough time to catch up with everyone but it was great being able to hang out and have conversations beyond the screens and keyboards of technology. Went to a bubble tea place again after Gyubee but I got a coffee cause I told you I had my bubble tea fix, and cause I still needed to digest dinner.
Conversations we have on such evenings are what makes it hard for me to be away, but I am so grateful that we can just pick up where we left off every time we get together. Some days it still feels like we are all sitting in Haig's cafeteria playing Speed, but somehow we've all grown up so much and are finding our way as young adults in this insane world. I think we've all had to go outside of our comfort zone and try to figure out what exactly we're supposed to do, and I couldn't be happier to grow up with all of you.
Listening to "Never Be The Same" by Camila Cabello
Images taken by me











No comments :
Post a Comment