Tan By the Sea: 18.01.17

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

18.01.17

HELLO 2017!

2016 did not have a lot of blog post but I think it had a lot of very personal posts. I am also really grateful I left myself little words of encouragement throughout my posts. It is as if I knew I would need it in the future. Blog posts aside, 2016 was pretty crazy, if not the craziest year of my life so far.

2016 in somewhat of a chronological order:
  • I graduated as a B.Commerce student from Guelph, just ever slightly grabbing that distinction with me (talk about doing the bare minimum, don't work hard kids, work smart, HA)
  • In Ontario, I visited Goderich, East Gwillimbury, and Niagara on the Lake for the first time
  • Samantha taught me a bunch of arts and crafts stuff (book binding, paper marbling, block stamping - Pikachu stamp)
  • I scrap booked university and had the amazing foresight to scan every page
  • I officially stopped working at Frankie's after over 3 years to make way for...(see next)
  • I moved to the UK to begin my life as a revenue analyst with Hilton (after months of visa shenanigans)
  • I visited Ireland for the very first time (and first trip with Samir)
  • I started to write down small things in my every life that make me happy 

2016 has been an emotional roller coaster, I went from going from an all time high from finishing my studies to throwing myself in a completely new country and starting to work just two days after landing. Some of my happiest and loneliest hours happened alongside one another. 

In fact, I just finished writing a draft for my school's magazine on my move to the UK. It made me realize how vulnerable and brave I can be at the same time. I am not a fan of change and sometimes I wonder if it's because change is always somehow incorporated in my life. You think that the more you do it, the easier it will get, but that is not necessarily true. It's always hard to leave friends and now family behind.  

Going in line with my 2016 posts, I want to tell myself that you did it. Yes the last 4 months have been scary, annoying, and filled with what feels like compromises, but you actually made a decision to grow up and stuck with it. 

The biggest thing I learnt about 2016 is how easy it is to assume that life is supposed to be a certain way. I had a nice house (albeit my parents' but hey I lived it in), I had a great paying job compared to most which made me think I can buy anything I want and still save a shit load (thank you Frankie's), I had a beautiful car (soon to be mine at that time at least), and all my friends and family right next to me. 

I took myself out of all those comforts and it made me realize how skewed 
my perspective on life was and that I am too young to be that comfortable. 

May 2017's be filled with more incredible life lessons, strengthening of relationships, travel, adventures, awesome food, and purpose. I would also love to read more and maybe even get back to dancing (if budget permits) or get Samir in better shape. Cheers to all the small happiness that will come my way. I hope that all of you have a meaningful and healthy year ahead, yes I missed 18 days but better late than never. 


Listening to "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors

No comments :

Post a Comment