Tan By the Sea: 23.09.16

UNDER THE SEA

I am a food enthusiast with a passionate hunger for
hospitality. As a graduate of the hospitality program
at the University of Guelph, my goal is to one day run
my own hotel. Here in my blog are my life adventures in words,
hope you enjoy the read!

Friday, September 23, 2016

23.09.16

I remember when I was about to leave Malaysia almost 10 years ago, my friends there asked me if I was ever coming back or if I had planned to stay in Canada forever. I told them Malaysia would always be home for me and because of that, I will always think of coming back. 

There is however one flaw to that, I thought you could only call one place home. Malaysia is still my forever home. It is the place I was born and raised, and the place I can always go back to. The sight, sounds, and scents in the air of Malaysia comforts my mind the minute I land on the warm soils of this tropical haven. Just like every country on earth, Malaysia comes with a hefty list of flaws, but the beauty of this country I cannot describe in words. 

That is not to say that Canada has not managed to creep into my heart in ways I cannot imagine. In some ways it's the polar opposite of Malaysia. For one, it's a freaking frozen tundra for half of the year. On more than one occasion, I have legitimately thought that I was going to die from the cold, the cold actually physically hurts. Trust me when I say, there are just as many political drama here as there are in Malaysia among other social issues. But in the end, I have spent most of my teenage years here, went to university here, had my first kiss here, had my first job here, and ultimately I learnt to be the person that I am today here on this land of perma-skating-rink. While Malaysia gave me my foundation, Canada gave me the resources. 

Human nature means that I still complain about either country and about certain policies that exist from time to time. Human nature also means that sometimes I compare and contrast my living conditions in both countries. But WOW, I am so incredibly lucky to be able to now call them both my home. I know it's not something that everyone can necessarily understand, but that is now my reality.

Little Young Me did say that I did not think I would stay in Canada forever. Now, I don't know if you would consider this a jinx or a foretelling, but little me was right. Today, it is finally confirmed, visa approved and all, that

I will be moving to the United Kingdom!

I have gotten a great job opportunity with Hilton Worldwide and damn I am so excited for what is ahead!

I have friends asking me how long I plan to stay there and my answer is similar to that I have given before: Canada will always be home for me, however, I now know better that the UK could very well be home for me too. I will most likely be involved in a complicated "home"-love triangle, but I can make it work. 

Yes my move will be hard, I will be without my family and most of my friends, I will cry, and you bet I will definitely complain, but I will also fall in love with the country as I have done before. Cheers to my last week in Canada for now, don't worry, my goodbyes are never forever


Listening to "The Greatest" by Sia

No comments :

Post a Comment